Food Safety Quality (FSQ) Supervisor
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Responsible for daily functions of the quality control lab as it relates to all aspects of ice cream manufacturing. Issue diagnostic and resolution of Operational problems. Lead the ongoing development and verification of the Quality Management System that supports the manufacture and distribution of Safe, Quality Foods and Services. Coordinate and maintain facility audits and sampling programs by external organizations (regulatory, third party, customer audits, etc.) Support programs to validate quality. Support the customer complaint follow-up process. Participate on the Food Safety Team to ensure HACCP, FSMA and other regulatory compliance.
(Essential functions/duties of the job include, but are not limited to the following list)
- Create, monitor, update, and verify policies and procedures to maintain SQF certification. Ensure accuracy, completeness and correct format of technical documents. Provide proof that activities have been completed and documents exist that will be reviewed as part of any investigation, or for a basis to make continuous improvement decisions upon.
- Scrutinize correctness of language and policies to match standards.
- Develop and maintain Quality programs that satisfy SQF certification.
- Supervise/ Lead the Unionized QA Lab Team in support of company and department objectives (quality, cost, delivery, safety, and morale)
- Coordinate, conduct; monitor food safety/security training across all teams who handle and/or transport food.
- Verify that product and ingredient risk assessments are maintained current
- Participate as an active member of the HACCP/Food Safety Team.
- Participates as an active member of the Food Defense Team and manage Food Fraud Database
- Support compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act
- Maintain or obtain (in a reasonable amount of time) certifications for HACCP, SQF Practitioner, SQF Quality Practitioner and PCQI
- Interfaces on a daily basis with Operations, Purchasing, Marketing and Sales in support of company and department objectives.
- Leads all Quality Assurance functions related to Process Control Points and troubleshooting of quality issues.
- Develop tests and evaluations of equipment and ingredients needed to support efficient product testing and cost improvements.
- Perform necessary clerical duties for department including ordering supplies, ingredients and equipment, and handling correspondences on such orders.
- Understand regulations as related to NYS Ag n M and the PMO.
- Maintain State Regulatory Licenses
3rd Party Audits
Monitor, develop and improve programs to ensure compliance with 3rd party audits to include but not be limited to SQF Audit, customer audits, Halal audits, USDA audits and organic certification.
- Work with facility safety team to deliver safety training as related to personal and/or food safety.
- Work with facility safety team to develop programs that ensure personal safety programs also meet food safety requirements.
- Work closely with Operations Team to ensure compliance to regulatory and SQF requirements.
- Participate in second person review of various documents and proofs.
- Assist with documentation required for bid process as outlined by potential customers
- Minimum B.S. in Food Science or related field (i.e. Dairy Science, Biological Sciences), or A.A.S. in Food Science or related field with 10 years or more experience in food processing and/ or food ingredient environments
- Dairy or Ice Cream manufacturing and lab experience required.
- Strong manufacturing process and ice cream manufacturing equipment knowledge.
- Experience working in a multiple sku environment.
- Skills/experience in managing team members in QC, and/or Operations.
- Experienced in effective management of projects in support of laboratory and manufacturing development.
- Knowledge of CIP and COP cleaning and sanitation procedures preferred.
- Willingness to learn and participate in all facets of food processing and storage associated with frozen dessert manufacturing
- Ability to facilitate problem solving teams
- Experience demonstrating ability to function and contribute to projects within cross-functional teams
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, or equivalent software.
- Willingness to participate in travel including overnight travel
- Strong orientation promoting/executing safety initiatives.
- Able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Strong Team skills – collaborative style.
- Safety and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s)- Must follow the Company guidelines and vision to enhance and create a positive safety & GMP environment
- Ability to develop, teach and train team members.
- Flexibility – work may be performed on all shifts and weekends.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Able to taste dairy products and other allergenic ingredients