POSITION: FOOD TECHNOLOGIST
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Participate in all areas of Research and Development including: Product/Process Development/Modification, Project Management, Cost Control, Formulation and Formula Maintenance, Labeling and Nutritional requirements, and Product Packaging. Interface on a daily basis with Quality Assurance, Marketing, Sales, Purchasing, and Operations in support of company and department objectives
REPORTING RESPONSIBILITY: RESEARCH AND QUALITY TEAM LEADER
Internal: Wide-range of company contacts with many departments,
teams, team leaders, and team members.
External: Numerous contacts with vendors, industry organizations,
regulatory agencies, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (Essential functions/duties of the job include, but are not limited to the following list)
- Participate in product/process development and/or improvement from concept to final product including bench top, pilot plant, plant trials, and production runs
- Develop and participate in tests and evaluations of ingredients and equipment needed to support product development and cost improvements
- Set up and conduct effective sensory evaluation sessions of existing, new and competitors’ products and/or ingredients or process modifications, and subsequently, perform statistical analyses of data
- Prepare product descriptions, ingredient declarations, nutritional information and calculations
- Set up and maintain R&D records including: ingredients and ingredient specifications, nutritional databases of ingredients and products, information on product specifications and codes
- Understand and perform computer-assisted operations in development of test and plant formulations and Bills of Materials (BOMS)
- Assist Marketing in packaging development, including reviews and sign offs at various stages of development relative to NLEA matters for branded, co-pack, and private label products
- Serve as a resource to the QC Lab providing necessary assistance and training as the needs of the department or company may dictate
- Participate in cross functional team-based functions related to quality, cost, delivery, safety, and morale in support of company and department goals.
- B.S. in Food Science or related field (i.e. Dairy Science, Biological Sciences), or A.A.S. in Food Science of relate field with 10 years or more experience in food processing and/ or food ingredient environments
- A minimum of 4 years and preferably more years of experience in product/process development including successful launches of several new products (or processes)
- Strong computer skills and willingness to learn programs as the position may dictate in a reasonable time period. Proficient with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and Microsoft Outlook, OWL software or equivalent software.
- Experienced in effective management of projects in support of new food product/food processing development
- Willingness to learn and participate in all facets of production related activities associated with understanding all facets of food processing and storage associated with frozen dessert manufacturing
- Experience demonstrating ability to function and contribute to projects within cross functional teams (i.e. marketing, sales, purchasing, production, and finance)
- Willingness to participate in travel including overnight travel in support of product development or training as the need arises
- Strong orientation promoting/executing safety initiatives
- Strong creative skills/instincts
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Able to taste dairy products and other allergenic ingredients.
- Office, laboratory, pilot plant, and plant environments associated with the manufacture and storage of frozen desserts
- Considerable time may be spent on computer functions
- Some travel to outside facilities in support of essential duties
- Slippery floors conditions
- Some lifting
Anyone interested in applying for this position must submit an online bid/application on the company’s application site by 07/13/2018
Perry's Ice Cream is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Facility.